Saturday, February 21, 2015

My 2015 Oscar Predictions

 
Over the past several years, I have sporadically posted my pre-Oscar picks particularly when I believe that the year had a good selection of films in competition.
 
This year was an exceptional year for the movies, maybe because only the best non-blockbuster scripts gets funding beyond the slew of franchised animation, remakes, sequels, prequels, bestseller and comic book adaptations that come out from Hollywood these days.
 
Anyway, here are my picks for each of the major categories for the Academy Awards. I usually get 50% of them right. Let's see how I do tomorrow night:)
 
Postscript: The winners are out (my guess in red, actual winner in yellow). I got 8 out of the 14 categories I included here in this blog-- a 57% hit! I am getting better every year...
 
For some reason, I seem to be always in the money for Best Director and Best Cinematographer. I guess it just shows that I am really familiar with my chosen crafts ;)
 
BEST PICTURE
American Sniper
Birdman (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)
Boyhood - winner
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game
Selma
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
 
BEST DIRECTOR
Alejandro G. Inarritu - winner *
Richard Linklater
Bennett Miller
Wes Anderson
Morten Tyldum
 
BEST ACTOR
Steve Carell
Bradley Cooper
Benedict Cumberbatch
Micheal Keaton - winner
Eddie Redmayne
 
BEST ACTRESS
Marion Cotillard
Felicity Jones
Julianne Moore - winner *
Rosamund Pike
Reese Witherspoon
 
BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR
Robert Duvall
Ethan Hawke
Edward Norton
Mark Ruffalo
J.K. Simmons - winner *
 
BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS
Patricia Arquette
Laura Dern
Keira Knightley - winner
Emma Stone
Meryl Streep
 
BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY
Emmanuel Lubezki - winner *
Robert Yeoman
Lukasz Zai/Ryszard Lenczewski
Dick Pope
Roger Deakins

BEST EDITING
American Sniper
Boyhood
The Grand Budapest Hotel
The Imitation Game - winner
Whiplash
 
BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY
American Sniper - winner
The Imitation Game
Inherent Vice
The Theory of Everything
Whiplash
 
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
Birdman (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance) - winner *
Boyhood
Foxcatcher
The Grand Budapest Hotel
Nightcrawler
 
BEST PRODUCTION DESIGN
The Grand Budapest Hotel - winner *
The Imitation Game
Interstellar
Into the Woods
Mr. Turner
 
BEST VISUAL EFFECTS
Captain America: The Winter Soldier
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes
Guardians of the Galaxy
Interstellar - winner *
X-Men: Days of Future Past
 
BEST ANIMATION
Big Hero 6 - winner *
The Boxtrolls
How to Train Your Dragon 2
Song of the Sea
The Tale of the Princess Kaguya
 
BEST FOREIGN FILM
Ida
Leviathan - winner
Tangerines
Timbuktu
Wild Tales
 
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL THE WINNERS!!!!


No comments: